STEREOTACTIC BREAST BIOPSY
Accredited by the American College of Radiology
Stereotactic breast biopsy is a safe and minimally invasive breast biopsy. After the technologist explains the procedure you will lie down on your stomach where your breast will be positioned through an opening in the table. The biopsy site will be cleansed and anesthetized to minimize the pain. A small incision will be made in the skin. The radiologist will carefully insert a biopsy needle through the incision. Tissues samples will be taken with vacuum assistance. A small stainless steel tissue marker will be placed at the biopsy site for future reference. A mammogram will be done after the biopsy to confirm accurate tissue marker placement. You will be given post biopsy instructions and asked to return for a site check in 3-4 days.
Vero Radiology Women's Imaging Center is fully accredited
by the American College of Radiology.
BREAST BIOPSY EXAM PREP
- Discontinue aspirin 7 days prior to exam
- Discontinue Vitamin E, Plavix and other anticoagulants 5 days prior to exam
- Discontinue blood thinners (Coumadin) 4 days prior
labs - PT, PTT, INR 24 hours prior)
- Discontinue Ginko Biloba 2-3 days prior to exam
- Please contact your physician prior to discontinuing any medications